Tuesday, September 28, 2010

off topic...TV review

Yeah, yeah, I know, I just blogged a few hours ago, but I have more to say and my day of dozing has led to a night of insomnia. Let's just hope a few minutes of unloading my random musings will help me go to sleep. Well, that and a sleeping pill.

Since I've been a reluctant hermit, I've been watching a lot of TV. A LOT OF TV. At least, a lot for me. Apparently DH grew up with the TV on all the time, so if he's here, the TV's on. I, on the other hand, lived in a home where the TV was only on if you were watching it and the only time you watched during the day was if you were sick. Besides, DH had cable and I didn't, so it's not like there was anything on to watch anyway. Kind of funny, though, my grandmother who babysat me when I was little always had the TV on, it seemed. Today, The Price is Right, the noon news, various soap operas, and The Andy Griffith Show are burned in my memories of being at her house.

When DH is here, we usually watch stuff he wants to watch, or that we both want to watch. I don't subject him to Teen Mom and he doesn't subject me to UFC (re-runs and that stupid Ultimate Fighter...I like the PPV fights and the 5 minutes during the Ultimate Fighter where they actually FIGHT). I DVR Dateline and 48 Hours on ID and watch those pretty regularly. I'm not sure why I enjoy them so much but I do enjoy true crime stories and seeing how they actually solve cases. Sometimes I see cases on there that I wonder if the person convicted really did it. Anyway, I find it fascinating, kind of like how I felt about CSI before the new wore off. And before they started CSI: Miami with that bag of douche David Caruso. I had to Google just now to get his name (must be the chemo). I swear, if I have to see that guy take off or put on his sunglasses one more time while pausing dramatically mid-pun, I might go postal.

But crime shows are not all I've been watching...I've also been checking out some of the new TV shows. Now I don't mean just the brand new ones, but new episodes of old shows too. I pretty much DVR everything because I hate commercials that much, so I'm talking about stuff that may be a week or two old. And I still have some new stuff that I haven't watched yet. Blah, blah, whatever, here's my opinions, in no particular order.

The Office: I've never seen the British version but just like most things we steal from them, theirs is probably funnier. Last season of The Office was pretty blah and when Pam and Jim got married the show jumped the shark (if you don't know what that means Google it). But last week...damn near unwatchable. I haven't deleted it from my DVR timers yet, and I'm still following Rain Wilson on Twitter, but it's treading on thin ice. Its only salvation...the cameos by Kathy Bates. OMG she's freakin hilarious!!

Mike and Molly: I missed the first episode but I watched episode 2 tonight and it was FUNNY! The fat jokes weren't too bad, I realize that's the underlying theme of the show, but they just bordered on too many, in my opinion. And that sweater would have been ugly on anyone, fat or not. I've loved Melissa McCarthy ever since she was on Gilmore Girls so she's the reason I set a timer, but apparently the guy, Billy Gardell is a comedian. So is this like another Everybody Loves Raymond or Seinfeld? Who knows, but so far so good, I'll keep watching.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: I've only watched one episode of the new season and it didn't hold my attention very well. Hopefully it'll pick up because generally I freakin love this show!! Those 5 people are the most despicable, unlikeable characters and yet, at least sometimes, you almost cheer for them. Sweet Dee and Mac are married in real life and I'm glad they haven't either gone there on the show or lost their chemistry for pissing each other off. Who knows, it may have been the drugs that was causing my short attention span.

iCarly: Yeah, I know, this is a kids show on Nick but for a kids show on Nick it's pretty good. The main characters have good chemistry and even though they are teenagers, the topics are not too mature for my six-year-old daughter, who's a HUGE fan. I never would have watched it if not for her, and it's not like I'm watching it by myself, but if it's on, I'll watch it. Just don't tell NumberOneSon.

Tosh.0: I made the mistake of letting NOS watch this with me and now he's hooked too. Who would think some comedian making fun of YouTube videos would be so funny? But his comments are so snarky and at times so borderline racist you just can't stop watching. It cracks me up that he'll actually GO there, you know. Most people won't. Plus Daniel Tosh is well, cute. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes him cute but yeah, I'm crushin a little. Don't tell DH.

Glee: Yep, I'll admit it, I'm a Gleek. Or whatever you wanna call a fan. LOVE IT! Especially the Journey medley they took to competition to end last year. And Jane Lynch...she is just a riot!! I <3 her!! They sang more current stuff in the first episode, and since I watched the MTV VMAs (DVR'd, finally got to it over the weekend) and I didn't know who half the artists were and hated most of what I heard, I really hope they don't stay too current or I may have to mute!

Friday Night Lights: I don't think it's on right now, and at first I wasn't sure what to think of the route the writers had taken with this season...Coach Taylor moving to Dillon East, all the racial stuff, etc...and then I started reading the book. I haven't finished it yet, but I have to say that last season explored issues that the book explored and the movie and the show thus far had glossed over. I missed a few episodes but I think NBC has them online, so I just need to get motivated to watch a TV show on my computer instead of my big screen TV. I'm gonna finish the book first. I won't lie...Kyle Chandler was my main draw to the first show (I fell in love with him in Homefront when I was in high school) but that first episode was all I needed to be hooked. The story was just compelling.

The Middle: I only watched this a time or two last year when I was staying in a hotel and therefore did not have DVR, but I really liked it. So I set a timer for it and it's funny!! Last week's advice from Doris Roberts to Patricia Heaton not to smother her son made me laugh out loud!! Throwback to Everybody Loves Raymond! And since I never could get enough of Janitor on Scrubs, I'm glad to see him on there too. It reminds me of Malcolm in the Middle just a little, but not in a copycat way at all. Lois was one of my all time favorite TV moms, but I think I relate to Frankie even more.

And last but not least...
$..! My Dad Says: WTF...it's SHIT, OK? Everyone knows that. I realize censors won't allow that to be said or printed out on network TV but whatever. I feel completely swindled by Shit My Dad Says. It started out as a Facebook page and a Twitter account and that's just what it was. Periodically this dude Justin would post shit his dad would say. Sometimes two posts in one day, sometimes nothing for over a week. Usually what his dad would say would involve a couple of curse words and some sort of insult to Justin, but if you looked closer it was pretty sage advice. When you get older, it seems, you are less concerned about what people think of you and more likely to say what you really think. Now I'm beginning to think that it was all a scam to build buzz for a lame ass sitcom starring William Shatner. I watched it. I haven't deleted my timer for it yet, but I was not impressed. First of all, I don't think William Shatner is enough of an asshole to pull this off. They need someone who looks like Abe Vigoda, or Abe Simpson for that matter. The dude who is the main character is just a tool and he really can't act. Nicole Sullivan and Will Sasso are hilarious as always in their supporting roles...those two have good comedic timing and chemistry. They need their own show. But not this one. I'll probably give it another chance or two, because I remember the first few episodes of Seinfeld weren't that funny and it ended up being one of my all time favorites. But I'm prepared to be disappointed.

And that's it for now, RedDirtGirl's review of the Fall 2010 TV season. Aren't you glad I have so much time on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment