Thursday, September 9, 2010

Getting back to normal...well, kind of

So this afternoon, for the first time in over two weeks, I was all by myself for more than just a few minutes. I think most people who know me would consider me to be a "people person." I usually enjoy meeting new people, talking to people, being out in public, mingling and making small talk at a get-together, chatting up customers at the bar. What most people don't know is...oh, geez, I'm not sure I want to give away my secret. Um, ok, here goes...I don't always like being around people. I need a little solitude every day. If I don't get some alone time I get a little nutty. Now having had major surgery, being on narcotics, having DH at home and then my mom after DH went back to work, how much "alone" time do you think I've had? Not including going to the bathroom and being asleep...pretty much zero. So when my mom left and my coffee klatch girlfriends left and I dropped Baby Boy off at preschool...I was HOME ALONE! I felt like running through the house like that crazy little kid in the movie. Instead I sorted, washed and folded some laundry, deleted some junk on the DVR, watched an episode of Teen Mom, stripped my bed and washed my sheets. Oh yeah, and caught about a 15 minute nap.

I have a to-do list about a mile long these days and I didn't get any of it done. So I've decided the first thing on my to-do list every day from now on is "get better." That way, I can always mark something of the list. It may be on the list again the next day, but I need to remember that every day, the most important thing I need to do is work on getting better, whether that means taking a nap, saying a prayer,or having coffee with a friend. That doesn't mean I won't try to accomplish anything else on the list, but the world won't end if I don't get all the laundry finished or there's a cobweb in the corner of my bathroom. The roof didn't fall in when my mom saw how filthy my laundry room is. Eventually everything will fall into place and get back to normal, well, normal for me I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment