Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Telling people

What is a good way to start the conversation when you tell someone you have cancer? Hello, yeah it's me, I know we never talk on the phone, but I just couldn't bring myself to type the words, I have breast cancer, into a text message. Ugh. I think I've called or seen almost everyone whose feelings would be hurt to read it on Facebook instead of hearing it from me. Fortunately, my husband and mother-in-law have also done some of the telling for me. For God's sake, how many intense, OMG I can't believe this is happening, is there anything I can do, etc, phone calls can you participate in in one day without finding a cliff or ten story building to throw yourself off of? I know, it sucks, I know, it's early, thank God. I'm so glad you love me and will help me. But if I have to tell one more person and get that sympathetic look, I'll start crying too. And I can't cry. I cried two and a half weeks ago when I found out I needed a biopsy. I gotta keep it together. I have three kids, bills to pay, a house to clean, laundry to do, dogs to chase, an extra 20 lbs to lose. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. Although deep down I really just want to go to sleep and wake up tomorrow morning to find it was all a dream, one of those crazy surreal dreams I have periodically. But I know that's not gonna happen, so I gotta keep keepin' on.

No comments:

Post a Comment