Saturday, August 7, 2010

Just a quickie!

Home, briefly. Had a couple of beers and some tasty food with my girl Cracker Jill tonight. I'm sad 'cause she's moving but I know she'll do great and we'll keep in touch, at least through text messages and Facebook.

NumberOneSon called as I was leaving the bar to tell me he had swimmer's ear. Since I have no idea whether I had anything for it at home, I swung by Walgreen's to get whatever that stuff you use for swimmer's ear is. I love Walgreen's, they have great sales and cool stuff, and their clearance shelves are just awesome!! I wandered through cosmetics, finished off my baby gift for the shower later today, grabbed the swimmer's ear stuff, and then walked down the hair aisle. Oh, how I love hair products! Ponytail holders, barrettes, product, shampoo, conditioner, etc, etc, etc, I have a ton in my bathroom and more on reserve! They had my flat iron protectant spray buy one get one free. So I grabbed a couple bottles and rounded the corner and realized...I'm not going to be able to use it for a long time probably, if ever! I can't imagine I won't have to do chemo after my surgery and I know my hair will fall out. I'll get a short cut when I start and shave it when it starts to fall out. No need for a flat iron then.

It's just hair, I know, but it made me sad. My hair has been the longest it's ever been the past few years. I got it chopped off right before I had Miss Thang and have only trimmed it some since. It was down to my waist and I'd been keeping it there for a couple of years till I had Pinup Barber cut off about 6 inches a few months ago. I know I'll never catch up with BFF's hair but I don't want to be bald either. Yeah, I know I can get a wig, or wear a hat or a scarf or a bandanna, but I don't want to look weird or draw attention to my appearance.

I saw a lady out the other day with no hair and a hat on and I thought, oh she must be going through cancer treatment. Right now you can't see that I'm a cancer patient. I don't look any different than anyone else. But soon everyone is going to be able to tell just by looking at me. For God's sake you'd think I'd be slightly more sensitive than some others since I'm actually going through it right now, and even I went there. I was even tempted to be nosy and ask. Ugh. I've already had awkward moments since I went public, I certainly don't want people making conversation in Price Cutter over peaches about my bald head. Princess suggested I get my head tattooed while it's bald. Not a bad idea but what do I get? I have a couple of ideas but they're probably not appropriate...OK here's a PG one...Rogaine failure...

Well I should have been in bed at least two hours ago, so nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment